SYR Master Plan Update
SYR Master Plan Update Public Open House #1 January 19, 2022
To see the boards displayed at this public open house, please click here.
About the SYR Master Plan Update Process
Syracuse Hancock International Airport (SYR), owned by the City of Syracuse, New York, and operated by the Syracuse Regional Airport Authority (SRAA), is a public-use, primary commercial service facility that serves the aviation needs of Onondaga County and the Central New York Region. The last Airport Master Plan, with an Airport Layout Plan (ALP), was completed in 2006. An ALP is a tool required by the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) to ensure grant eligibility for future projects. Any future project requesting grant funding must be depicted on the ALP. The ALP is developed by incorporating the proposed recommendations of the Master Plan Update identified through detailed analyses. The ALP is a living document that is updated as projects are completed or refined through further analysis. It should be noted that all identified projects are required to complete an environmental review and approval process prior to any design or construction efforts.
The Master Plan Update will be conducted in accordance with FAA Advisory Circular 150/5070-6B, Airport Master Plans, other applicable Advisory Circulars, and industry-related best practices, and will cater to the specific development needs of the airport based on its most recent needs. The Master Plan Update report will present the technical findings associated with current conditions, forecasts of aviation activity, programming requirements, facility improvements, and the capital development program recommended throughout the planning horizon. Above all else, the Master Plan Update will be technically sound, practical, and economically feasible.
Specific outcomes and products of the Master Plan Update will include:
- A plan that will ensure the reliability and safety of airport operations;
- An effective graphic representation of the ultimate development of the airport (ALP);
- A schedule of priorities and phasing for the various improvements proposed in the plan;
- A description of the various concepts and alternatives which were considered in the establishment of the proposed plan;
- A concise and descriptive report so that the impact and logic of its recommendations can be clearly understood by local residents and by those authorities and public agencies charged with the approval, promotion, and funding of the improvements proposed in the master plan; and
- Recommended development that is in concert with current FAA and state design standards.
Please revisit this website for more information on the Master Plan Update schedule, interim documents as they become available, and upcoming public meetings.